Effective Date: January 23, 2022.
The privacy of your health information is extremely important to M Health Fairview. This policy is to help you understand what information we collect, how we use it, what choices you have, and other important information regarding the use of information collected through the M Health Fairview Patient App. Fairview Health Services and M Health Fairview are referred to in this statement as “M Health Fairview”, “we”, “us” or “our”. The M Health Fairview Patient App (“MHF App”) communications that contain health information are subject to all applicable state and federal laws governing the security and confidentiality of medical records.
Scope of this policy
This policy applies to the information we collect from or about you through the MHF App.
This policy does not apply to information that would be considered “Protected Health Information” under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). PHI is subject to our Notice of Privacy Practices
, please refer to this document to understand how medical information may be used and disclosed by M Health Fairview.
What information we collect
Some of the information M Health Fairview collects through the MHF App may be “personal information” that would identify you, personally, alone or in combination with other information available to M Health Fairview. Some examples of personal information may include, but are not limited to:
- Contact information (phone number, email address, physical address)
- Personally-identifiable information (date of birth)
- Demographic information (gender, pronouns, age)
- Insurance information (carrier, member ID)
- Health information (medical history, allergies, medications, questionnaire responses, appointments)
- Financial and Billing information (credit card, bank account information)
- Username and password
We use Google Analytics to help operate and improve the MHF App. The MHF App’s use of Google Analytics enables us to collect certain data about your MHF App use, including:
Log and Usage Data – Log and usage data is service-related, diagnostic, usage and performance information our servers automatically collect when you access or use our App. Depending on how you interact with us, this may include your device information, information about your activity in the app (such as date/time stamps associated with your usage, page views and searches), device event information, error reports and hardware settings.
Device Data – We collect device data such as information about your phone, tablet or other device used to access the App.
Location Data – We collect location data such as information about your device’s location, which can be either precise or imprecise. How much information we collect depends on the type and settings of the device you use to access the App. For example, we may use GPS and other technologies to collect geolocation data that tells us your current location. You can opt out of allowing us to collect this information either by refusing access to the information or by disabling your location setting on your device. If you choose to opt out, you may not be able to use certain aspects of the app.
You can access https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to learn more about how Google uses the information collected. Users may modify their privacy/information sharing settings within the MHF App.
Information Collected Through the MHF App
Depending on your device, the App may have access to the following information from your device:
Geolocation Information – We may request access or permission to and track location-based information from your mobile device, either continuously or while you are using our App to provide certain location-based services, such as automated appointment arrival and provider/location search near you.
- Mobile Device Access – We may request access or permission to certain features from your mobile device.
- Stored information (Images and Files) the MHF App may be able to read, write, modify, or delete the contents of your storage
- Camera may allow the MHF App to take pictures
- Phone may directly read/call phone numbers
- Other information the MHF App may be able to receive data from the Internet, pair with Bluetooth devices and access Bluetooth settings, change your audio settings, view your network connections/state, obtain full network access, and run at startup
- Mobile Device Data – We automatically collect device information (such as your mobile device ID, model and manufacturer), operating system, version information and system configuration information, device and application identification numbers and hardware model.
- Push Notifications – We may request to send you push notifications regarding your account or certain features of the app.
These app permission settings allow you to access or use certain features with the MHF App. For example, for virtual care, the MHF App may need access to your camera and microphone/audio recording. By changing your app permission settings, you may affect your ability to access or use certain features in the MHF App. You may disable any of this functionality on your mobile device by removing permissions for the MHF App at any time through the app’s settings.
How we use the information collected
We use personal information collected via our App for a variety of business purposes described below. We process your personal information for these purposes in reliance on our legitimate business interests, with your consent, and/or for compliance with our legal obligations.
We use the information we collect for things like:
To facilitate account creation and logon process
To deliver and facilitate delivery of treatment
Optimize the user experience of our app
Improve the operations of our organization
Conduct research and analysis
We will retain your information for as long as is needed to provide services or comply with our legal obligations.
We will also retain usage data for internal analysis purposes. Usage data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or improve the functionality of our services, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
We attempt to minimize the amount of your personal or health information stored or retained on your device. Nevertheless, the MHF Patient App may:
- Store a copy of a picture on your device if you choose to add a picture to your profile.
- Create encrypted identifiers to identify target healthcare providers for HealthKit or GoogleFit data, if you are using HealthKit or Google Fit.
- Temporarily store your personal information in memory or on the device while you use the app.
Sharing of information
- In order to provide you certain features, the MHF App may request information from servers and systems owned or operated by M Health Fairview and those servers and systems may record technical information about that request, such as an IP address and information related to the type of device, platform, and operating system you use with the MHF App.
We may share the information described above as set forth in this statement or as otherwise described at the time the information is collected from you. We will not rent or sell this information, nor will we authorize any of our service providers or business partners to use this information for their own purposes without your permission.
- Authorized third-party vendors/service providers We may share your information with their-party vendors/service providers for the purpose of billing, payment processing, management and hosting of telemedicine services, customer service and analytics. Your information may not be used by these vendors/service providers for any purpose other than those related to the services they are providing us.
- Corporate affiliates We may share your information with our business affiliates of M Health Fairview.
- Legal purposes We reserve the right to disclose information if required to do so by law or by a regulatory authority. We may also disclose information as part of a legal investigation.
- With your consent We may share information for other purposes with your consent.
Information about third-party data sharing
If you as a patient find a third-party application to which you would like to export your health information from the MHF Patient App, M Health Fairview may provide the ability for you to send your health information to certain third-party applications, subject to these Terms and Conditions. M Health Fairview reserves the right to disable any third-party application, in its sole discretion and without notice.
M Health Fairview does not control any third-party application and is not responsible for the content or performance of such third-party applications. M Health Fairview does not operate, control, or endorse any information, products, or services provided by third parties, including without limitation, third party applications. Use of third-party applications is strictly at your own risk including, but not limited to, any risks associated with viruses, worms, Trojan horses, malware or other harmful or disabling code. You are solely responsible for any sharing of your MHF App content that you intentionally or unintentionally communicate to others, including to and through any third-party or third-party application.
. Use of real-time route guidance features is at your sole risk. Location data may not be accurate. The MHF App may also collect and use geolocation information for the purpose of facilitating appointment arrival using your devices location.
We have implemented a variety of commercially standard encryption and security technologies and procedures to protect your personal information stored in our computer system(s) from unauthorized access. M Health Fairview also maintains standard physical and electronic procedural safeguards that limit access to your personal information to our respective employees and partners who need access to your personal information. However, no internet transmission is ever completely secure or error-free.
You can disable the automatic collection of data through the Analytics Sharing setting in the MHF App.
Protecting children’s privacy
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 through the app without receiving parental consent.
Acceptance of these terms
The use of the MHF App is completely voluntary. If you do not agree to the terms of this privacy statement or the use of your information as set forth in this privacy statement, please do not use the MHF App. Your continued use of the MHF App subsequent to changes in this statement will signify your acceptance of the changes.
M Health Fairview reserves the right to modify the terms of this policy, and the changes will apply to all information we have about you. If we make significant changes, we will post a prominent message in the MHF App.
If you have a question or concern regarding your privacy, please contact M Health Fairview’s Privacy Office using the contact info below:
1700 University Ave W
Saint Paul, MN 55104